Last night after several battles with my serger I finished Annabelle’s skirt. I learned a lot but the tricky part about upcycling is that I will never have a project quite like that one again. Hopefully I will be able to apply what I learned to other projects anyway. The biggest thing I realized was that you can never leave too much fabric around the cute trim that you want to save. I ended up with a messy waistband casing and using a lot of fray check on the bottom to keep the pretty ribbon on the top and the cute rick rack on the bottom. Hopefully the fray check will hold. I haven’t used it before so I may end up hemming the skirt more and losing the rick rack after it has been washed. I am really happy with how it turned out. It flairs out over that cloth diaper and swishes delightfully when she walks. Annabelle was happy too although she wasn’t that happy when I took the picture.
She had her shoes on and wanted to go. She didn’t understand why I was wasting time taking pictures when we could be going places and doing things. Please disregard my wild eyed dog. She didn’t photograph too well. I promise she isn’t a zombie.
I still have a scrap of skirt fabric left but since my sister told me I was not to make Bill a matching vest for family photos (and Wendy knows everything) I think I am finished with this project. Time to get to work on another project from the pile.